Whole School Evaluation Report
4th March, 2014.
As Manager of Terenure College I welcome the most positive, affirming and encouraging Whole-School Evaluation (Management, Leadership and Learning) Report on Terenure College which was published by the Department of Education and Skills on 20th February 2014. This report is the result of the Whole School Evaluation undertaken in the school in October 2013. During this comprehensive evaluation the inspection team met with all the stakeholders - Trustees, Management, Teachers, Parents Association and Students. They also reviewed a range of school documentation and responses to questionnaires which were given to some pupils and parents. As part of the evaluation a wide range of lessons in a number of subject areas were inspected.
The whole evaluation process was a very worthwhile experience facilitating the review and evaluation of many aspects of life in Terenure College Senior School. It was very encouraging for the whole school community to note that the findings of the evaluation reflected and affirmed the many strengths of our school. These findings and strengths include:
• A commitment to the holistic development of all students by the school.
• A well organised and efficiently managed school.
• Almost all parents who responded agreed that overall they were happy with the school.
• A caring ethos is promoted by the Trustees and sustained by the staff.
• Students felt safe and cared for in the school.
• A strong sense of community.
• A broad curriculum is on offer and management strive to meet the needs of all students.
Under the heading of “Quality of Teaching and Learning” the Inspection team noted the following:
• Members of staff are self motivated and welcome leadership opportunities.
• Teaching and learning ranged from good to very good and exemplary practice was frequently observed.
• Strong expectation of student participation.
• Level of teacher student interaction, a key strength.
• Preparation for all lessons was very good.
• Good communication with home about student attainment.
• Classroom management was effective.
• Quality of student teacher relationship and student student relationship was respectful.
• Students are offered a broad range of extra-curricular and co-curricular activities.
• High rate of participation.
• Students are given additional opportunities to develop leadership through participation in a range of activities.
• A very good range of facilities which are acknowledged and appreciated by students, parents and staff.
• A vibrant Parents’ Association actively supporting the school and contributing to many aspects of school life.
The Report also noted that the school has benefitted substantially from the continued support of the Carmelites in sustaining the school ethos as well as from their significant investment in the school’s infrastructure and facilities.
I welcome the recommendations of the report and the In-School Management team with the staff have begun to reflect on the recommendations and will over the coming weeks and months work towards their implementation. As Manager, I am confident that due to the commitment and dedication of the whole school community at Terenure College, we will continue to build upon the solid foundations, embrace the required change and strive for excellence in education.
I wish to thank the members of the Inspection Team for their courteous and professional manner in which they conducted their work. I wish to thank you, the stakeholders in Terenure College; Management, Teachers, Staff, Students and Parents, who working together make us a centre of learning and a community of faith within the traditions of the Carmelite Order. These are challenging times for fee-charging schools but together we will continue to ensure that all we do will flourish.
Please find to follow a link to a copy of the Whole School Inspection Report for your information: http://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Inspection-Reports-Publications/Whole-School-Evaluation-Reports-List/report8_60570H.pdf
With kindest regards and best wishes,
Fr. Michael Troy O.Carm.,
|February||11 March 2014||April|
JEvents v2.0.11 Stable Copyright © 2006-2011